A mattress which provides both comfort and back support, reduces the low back pain and allows the spine components to really rest and rejuvenate during the night is the best mattress for lower back pain. With a large variety of mattress, it is difficult to choose the right mattress.
The following guidelines will help the lower back patients to choose the best mattress for back support and comfort:
- Personal preference: There is no single mattress style or design which works for all people with lower back pain. There should be an individual’s choice that provides him or her best comfort and support to gain a good night’s sleep.
- Understand and inquire about the physical components of the mattress: The inner springs or coils of a mattress provide the support. Mattresses vary in the number and the way coils are arranged. Also padding on the top of the mattress comes in varying thicknesses. These factors should be taken into consideration while buying a mattress according to individual preferences.
- Find a mattress with back support: A good mattress should provide support for the natural curves and spine alignment.
- Achieve a balance between comfort and back support: Both back supports as well as comfort are important qualities to be considered while choosing the best mattress for lower back pain. A medium firm mattress might be more comfortable as it allows the hips and shoulders to sink in slightly. A firmer mattress can be bought for the back support with thinker padding which provides comfort as well.
- Know when it is time to get a new mattress: It is important to know the time when a new mattress should be bought.